Perpetual Lovely is on facebook!

Perpetual Lovely is on facebook! Check out www.facebook.com/PerpetualLovely

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Curiouser and curiouser...

"That's logic."


Ahoy, and other nautical expressions!

Oddly enough, I am two days into my 2ww! ...and I am only on cd 15! If you recall my previous blog posts, I am a late ovulator-I usually O on cd 23 or 24.  Just when I think that things are getting a little predictable, reality swoops in and says, "Oh, reeeeeally? You think you've got it figured out? Here's a dose of ME!"
 

Worst of all, it has made my mother right.  Having your mother be right can suck at any age. Especially when she comes from the old school mentality of "just relax, let it happen...".  Even though I had research and over a hundred days of taking my temperature to support me, my mom was able to pinpoint when I would O based on a feeling she had.

She told me about a week and a half ago to ttc on cycle days 13-16.

"...but Mom, I ovulate late. Historically."

"I know, but just keep it in mind for me. It's been on my mind to tell you this.
I just have a feeling."

The next thing you would have seen, if words of advice were visible, would be those words exiting out my right ear.  I had charts on my side. Averages. I did the thing that we daughters do oh so well: I smiled and nodded okay.  And then I forgot.

Skip forward to this past Friday, and I was having my follicles checked on cd 10.  It was kind of uncomfortable, but nothing to get nervous about, if I have to do it again.  Basically they are using a wand to check everything out from the inside.  I asked as many questions as I could think of.  They measured the amount of follicles I had on both ovaries, counted how many I had that were over 10 mm, and measured the lining of my uterus. 

fyi:
For a follicle to be deemed the "primary follicle" or "mature" it needs to be around 18mm.
Follicles grow 1-2 mm a day.
The lining of the uterus needs to be around 6-8 mm.

I had 5 follicles on my left ovary that were over 10 mm, and 6 follicles on my right ovary that were over 10 mm. The largest was on my right side and was almost 13 mm.  I was given three different measurements for my lining and they averaged out to be around 6 mm. Sounds pretty good, huh?  I was advised to begin taking opk's on cd 11. Sunday, cd 12, I had plans to drive to Waco to move my little sister home for the holidays from Baylor University (Well, hello RG3!).  I was BAFFLED when, just before I was about to leave, sans husband, I got a bfp opk! So baffled, in fact that I took 3 more opk's, just to be sure.  After I saw the second bfp opk, there was one thing I was sure of: there was no way I was leaving for Waco that night.

Needless to say, I postponed my trip until the following morning. 

I also ovulated that day-cd 13.  My temperature yesterday, cd 14 confirmed it with a huge spike from the progesterone that was released with the egg from the primary follicle. Did you know that progesterone actually attracts sperm?



In addition to furthering the maturing of the egg in the follicle, it links up to a protein that signals the sperm's tail to wiggle back and forth, helping it to propel to the egg, according to LiveScience.com.  DISCLAIMER: Please forgive me for all the information, I have become quite the fertility geek through my experience.
                                                                                                                                                           
To sum the last five days up, I now have an appointment to get my progesterone level checked again on cd 28.  My level is sure to be higher than the last time, which was .44,  since I am 99% sure I ovulated (still waiting on a third high temperature to fully confirm it). 

Until next week, my daydreaming is in full gear.  Hopefully, this Christmas - which is about two weeks away ;) - will be the best Christmas ever.


 Here's to singing "I'm late, I'm late, I'm late....",  -Natalie
                                                                      
          

2 comments:

  1. hi natalie! this is anna's friend bekah. she shared your blog with me and i wanted you to know how much i've loved reading about your journey! i love your transparency and your openess. it took us over a year to get pregnant with owen and i was not good at being open and honest with my feelings about it. i LOVE that you are. you will be a WONDERFUL mommy! :) that baby will have been prayed for and longed for from the very start!
    merriest christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you so much for your nice comment, Bekah! ...and for even reading my blog! :) Support like that means so much to me. So many people, even my husband, think that I'm stressing over not being pregnant yet. ...and while it can be challenging at some times more than others, writing my way through this journey really helps me to deal. I write without a plan, just as the words flow. Haha, which is prob why I'm all over the place at times. Thank you so, so much for the sweetest comment. I wish you the merriest Christmas as well!

    ReplyDelete